In this week’s poll, I’m curious to find out how many glass collectors we have out there. Vote for how many camera lenses you have in your possession. I’ve seeded the poll with 1-5 lenses, but if you have more just add the number. I only have 4 lenses right now, but I could see myself with many many more in 5 or 10 years. I have a Konica Minolta 18-200mm zoom, a Sigma 105mm macro, a Sigma 10-20mm zoom, and an old Minolta 50mm f/1.4 prime that I use for super-macro work. What do you have? What’s your favorite? Tell us in the comments.

How Many Lenses Do You Own?

And the results from last week’s poll (How Many Hours Do You Post-Process?) indicate that the majority either spends less than 1 hour in the digital darkroom, or 2 hours on average. We also have some folks spending over 6 hours per photo (smart alecs?) and some spending no time post-processing.

1. Canon 18-55 F/3.5-5.6
2. Sigma 10-20 F/4.5-5.6
3. Canon 50 F/1.8
4. Sigma 70-300 F/4.5-5.6
5. Canon 100 F/2.8 MACRO

+ 350D
+ 580 EXii
+ Grip

September 26, 2007 5:59 am

Not many… I primarily use 1 of 3 lenses but have a 4th. The rest I’ll rent or I’m lucky borrow.

The two lenses I use the most are:
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS

My favorite is the 16-35 as I love wide angle shots, but I use the 70-200 a fair amount of the time. There are a couple other lenses I’d like to pick up. A couple that are reasonably priced and a couple of others that likely make renting a better financial choice.

September 26, 2007 11:30 am

I’m at 4 lenses:

Canon 60 mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 18 – 50 mm f/3.5 – f/5.6
Sigma 28-300 f/3.5 – f/5.6

My favorites are the 60 mm Macro and the Sigma zoom lens. I’m debating buying a wide angle or super wide angle lens because that is what I’m missing a bit right now.

September 26, 2007 6:15 pm

I’ve only got one….. but then I’ve only had my 400D a couple of days :-)It’s the standard 18-55 that came with the camera.

What should I get next? I like taking all types of photos from landscapes to macros, so given that I’m only likely to be able to afford a new lens every 3 months or so, any tips on what to go for first?

September 27, 2007 4:04 am

Chris, I’d go with something like the Sigma 28 – 300 mm lens I have. It’s a very versatile lens that you can use for almost anything. It has some limited Macro abilities but it’s also good for landscape photography and for any photo you might want to zoom in to your subject.

September 27, 2007 7:21 am

Cheers Jenni, sounds like a good range on that lens.

September 27, 2007 7:39 am

Just like Jenni said, having a lens with a wide range usually comes in handy. I use an 18-200mm, and it’s very convenient when I don’t want to drag extra equipment with me. The downside to these types of lenses is that the quality is typically not as good as lenses with shorter ranges, or even primes (at least when looking in a similar price range). So you basically have to decide between convenience and quality. A big range is good to have in the beginning, then as you develop a need for more specific types of photography, you’ll find yourself craving something closer to a prime or something with a more limited range.

Definitely look into something in the “super zoom” category, though — there are plenty of lenses out there that run up to 200 or 300mm at a very reasonable price.

September 27, 2007 10:16 am

Brian,

For my main camera, the Canon 5D, I have 4 lenses…
1. EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
2. EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
3. EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye and the
4. EF 100mm f/2.8 macro

Apart from these, I have a whole bunch of nikon, sigma, tamron and other lenses for my film cameras. My favourite being the 35-70mm tamron lens for my Nikon F3…

Mostly drool maal now, as I shoot only with the 5D these days.

September 28, 2007 4:24 am

first time i have camera long time ago, yes i have several lenses start from wide angle until telephoto zoom. But now, i know where my interest in photography, so since 2003 mostly i use 50mm f1.2 for my canon AE-1 and currently i use AE-1 program after the life of AE-1 is over, 19-35mm and 35-80mm for my nikon body. thats enough.

my opinion the one who use 4 to 5 lenses might be a professional photographer or perhaps journalist. because i see the opportunity to shoot everything start from macro things until perhaps wildlife objects.

December 6, 2007 1:36 am

I got one zoom and a teleconverter. No the best combo. The result with the teleconverter isn’t very good.

February 2, 2008 1:26 am

I use a Canon EOS1V and a backup EOS 10S – both 35mm film cameras with the followin Canon lenses:

1. EF 85mm f/1.8 USM;
2. EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM;
3. EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM;
4. Canon Life Size Converter EF Macro Lens – just ordered and waiting for it now to use with the
24-100f/4L and the 70-300 isted above – curious as to the results of these unions!

I am very happy with these lenses as they satisfy my (nearly) every need! If I ever do go do digital then They will all go with me onto a Canon D camera, maybe the 40D.

June 4, 2008 11:08 pm