I was planning on publishing a Flickr etiquette article right about now, but recent events have changed my mind.

I live in San Diego, just south of Del Mar. If you’ve been following the activity around the San Diego Fires, you’ll realize that I may be in the line of fire in short time. I’m terribly busy keeping track of the updates and advisories, and I’ll continue to do so until I’m told to leave or until the danger passes. So here’s what I’m keeping track of right now:

If you have any other good links on up-to-date news regarding this situation, leave me a comment. I’m trying to take in as much information as possible right now.

You can also follow my activities via Twitter. I’ll update what I can if I have to leave.

UPDATE: We were evacuated on Monday evening (10/22/07) and headed to Qualcomm Stadium where we found a family offering a place to stay for the night. The next morning, we drove to Mission Viejo to stay with family. It’s now the morning of the 24th and we’re planning on heading back home soon.

Here are some photos from our refuge in Mission Viejo.

Turmoil in Paradise Smoke Filled Skies North Meets South

Check this out, I made a Google Earth overlay with the MODIS satellite. Hope this helps inform more people about where the fire is actually burning (at least within the last 12 hours)

October 22, 2007 10:25 pm

I hope this passes by all of you in San Diego Brian, stay safe!

October 23, 2007 3:45 am

That’s pretty horrible. Don’t leave it too late mate!

October 23, 2007 4:32 am

Wow. I’ve been through two bush fire events close to home so far over here in Australia. A very stressful time. Hope all goes well.

(And thanks for keeping in mind my request!)

October 23, 2007 6:54 am

So it looks like you’ve evacuated (according to Twitter). Be safe out there, Brian.

October 23, 2007 10:00 am

I hope you and your family’s home are spared from the flames. I’m sorry to hear that you had to evacuate. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

For those that are unaware of the scale of the fires here is a picture of what Southern California looks like from space at the moment.

October 23, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the concerns, everybody. We’re safe and sound in Mission Viejo. It’s weird — I can see the smoke to the north from Irvine, and the smoke to the south from SD. I’m hoping we can head home soon, but I don’t think it’s likely. We drove through Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe this morning, and the smoke was so thick on the freeway we could hardly see. Our place (just barely south of Del Mar) was pretty thick with some too. Even if there was no danger from fire, we’d still be choking on smoke and ash.

One of my Aunts lost her place at Lake Arrowhead yesterday — we’re 95% certain of if anyways. She only had 10 minutes to evacuate, so they lost just about everything. My grandpa has a place in Rancho Santa Fe, but it’s still free of fire damage. Hopefully that remains to be the case.

There are literally hundreds of homes lost, thousands of families displaced, and many burns and injuries due to these fires.

It’s crazy, it feels like the end of the world down there.

October 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Be well, Brian. I’m not good at writing comforting words, but I want you to know that I’m thinking about you and your loved ones.

October 23, 2007 5:31 pm

How’s the fire now?

October 24, 2007 6:04 am

Brian,

It’s good to know that you’re safe once more and that the fires have subsided.

It must have been on helluva time back there… I’m glad that you’re through it.

October 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks guys, everything is back to (mostly) normal now… at least for us.

October 26, 2007 10:07 pm

I found this post a littile late but I felt compelled to responed. I live In Notheren Michigan where we had a large fire (by our standards) and it was a little unnerving. Then I got to thinking how minor this fire was in comparison to the fires you folks deal with. Best wishes to all.

May 24, 2008 2:10 pm

There are some great pictures here. I found this reasearching some other fire pics since Universal Studios is on fire right now. Hope everything is gong well there.

June 1, 2008 3:04 pm

Yeah, crazy stuff at Universal Studios today. I was actually on Hollywood Blvd and I heard about it from a guy that was out there photographing it. Yikes.

June 1, 2008 11:32 pm

Great pics. I’m glad the fires are more or less subdued for us to really enjoy these pics in a different light. Thanks for the great photography!

Cheers,
Eden

October 29, 2008 2:24 am

I was reading the other day that there were more fires this last season, but not nearly as bad as last year…

It may not be fires this year, but the economy is it’s own fire storm! California’s budget deficit due to low tax income is going to be crazy!

Matt

November 9, 2008 1:43 pm

Fire is horrible people suffer and it is like the midwest or hurrican e allye noone leaves the area

November 11, 2008 8:28 pm