After seeing some interest from fellow photographers on yesterday’s spoof “Automatic Geotagging with GPS Compact Flash Card“, now I’m curious just HOW interested.

Let’s assume that you’re shopping for a 4GB card and the GPS card is on the market. Also assuming that the cost of a typical 4GB card is about $50 (though they range between $25 and $100). What’s the MOST you would consider spending on a GPS enabled Compact Flash card? At what point would you say “forget it”?

What Would You Pay for a GPS Compact Flash Card?

Also, DEFINITELY check out the poll results from last week on the Creative Commons vs Copyright question. Copyright still has a strong lead, but there are actually quite a few Creative Commons users out there.

You really had me going with that last post mate! At first I was all like “WOW! I want one!” Then I was like “No wait, he’s joking?!” Then I was all “Grrr that’s MEAN”, but it’s all good. ;)

Great idea man, and when one comes out, assuming I have the dosh, I’ll be grabbing one :)

November 27, 2007 1:21 am

LOL — Just what I was going for! Not really, but I figured that’s how most people would react. Really I’m just trying to see if there’s any real interest in this sort of thing and what kind of a market there would be for it. Maybe I’ll go back to school and get my degree in Computer Engineering too so I can build one.

November 27, 2007 2:26 am

My cameras use SD flash. I would upgrade my cameras if a model was interduced with a Bluetooth connection to a GPS.

The WiFi SD card is neat, I would consider it, but it only works with JPG images. I shoot only RAW.

November 27, 2007 11:12 am

I wouldn’t be interested in this type of functionality. What matters is getting the shot rather than reproducing it. Although the GPS coordinates would cater to the inner geek in me… it wouldn’t add value to anything I do.

November 27, 2007 12:27 pm

It would make a lot more sense to have the camera do this

Why keep paying for an extra GPS module on each card when one in-camera could suffice? It would probably work better too (larger antenna etc…)

November 27, 2007 3:06 pm

I guess you could ask the same of the WiFi thing, but people seem to be keen on that little SD card. Some cameras do have GPS built-in, but they’re far from mainstream for some reason.

November 27, 2007 8:35 pm

TheGPS in the card sounds interesting. I think it needs more space than a card can hold however. Built into the camera would be great. There is a Rioch one that has it built in but it is very expensive. I use the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr to capture my GPS info and use the software that came with it to add the GPS info to my photos. I’m giving one away this month, so until cameras are GPS enabled and more mainstream or until that card gets made, (Although I’d rather have it in SD than CF) I’m going to be using my PhotoTrackr.

December 4, 2007 8:14 am

It can be expensive but these cards are really worth it. Espically with things like fickr time and location dating are a super added feature.

July 4, 2008 9:18 pm

As I said on the other post, I would pay $100 US for this card, should it appear on the market. I could not figure out how to add a vote in the poll. Is the poll closed?

August 19, 2008 10:36 am

To me, a GPS Compact Flash Card would be a great feature, and automatic geotagging is really cool to me. I would not mind having a GPS compact flash card, and I would pay at least $150 for one if I had to.

August 24, 2008 4:10 am

You fooled me as well. What can I say? Hey, is this going to become a reality? Just in case, I will keep my eyes open for it. Thanks for the amusing post.

September 2, 2008 11:58 am

Even if it didn’t add value for you, Jim, it might add value to anyone who purchased a photo from you. If I were a professional photographer, I would consider getting a camera with this capability because it would add value to a sale, in my opinion.

November 15, 2008 10:36 pm