On May 19, I announced that the Fine Art Photoblog was accepting portfolios to fill two new spots. In just two weeks, we had 43 outstanding portfolios come through: a few familiar names, and many new ones. This was a larger response than I had expected, and I have to admit that I’m wishing there were fewer portfolios to review!

Now the seven of us currently involved with the photoblog have the daunting task of selecting only two artists to potentially join us. We’ll be going through rounds of narrowing the field, defending our favorites, and coming to agreements. We take this task very seriously and it’s not something we’re prepared to rush in any way. So if you are one of the 43 who submitted a portfolio, please be patient while we work through this.

In the meantime, I wanted everybody to get some of the spotlight because I found this group of portfolios to be particularly inspiring. I’ve selected one photo (my own personal favorite) from each portfolio to be displayed as a sample. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. The display order is based on the order that the portfolios were received.

The photos below are the sole property of the artist. They maintain fully copyright to their images, so please don’t use them without permission.

UPDATE: Aw crud… it turns out we had 44 portfolio entries. One from Dawn Armfield didn’t go through with the entry form. Sorry Dawn! We got you in there now.

Niels Henriksen

Zachary Cobb

Zachary Cobb

Vahid

Vahid

Dawn Armfield

Dawn Armfield

I hope you all enjoy taking a look at these photos and I encourage you to browse through the portfolios.

Great shots! I like your personal favourites. They really do bring out the wonders of life, beautiful characters and places.

June 6, 2008 10:02 am

Spectacular images everyone! I love the diversity of all the portfolios and high quality photography. Thanks Brian and crew for this post, and great exposure to all your readers.
-Scott

June 6, 2008 10:06 am

beautiful selection, some are wonderful. Nice work for sharing that!
Philippe

June 6, 2008 10:16 am

thank you for the feature… discovered new photographers. :)

June 6, 2008 10:36 am

Yay!
Amazing photos.

June 6, 2008 11:16 am

Some fine work to choose from Brian…best of luck!

June 6, 2008 11:27 am

Some fantastic photos there. I’m pleased as punch to see one of my shots on this most illustrious blog, but I’m also humbled by the quality of work from the other entries.

June 6, 2008 11:29 am

I’ve browsed all the portfolios already before this post, and am seeing some of the ones that I forgot to fav, so that’s cool. I do not envy being in the judges shoes, it’s going to be a tough choice to decide from all that talent!

June 6, 2008 12:16 pm

Amazing portfolios here! To have to choose only two from this bunch will not be an easy task, do take your time and good luck. Just knowing that I’m among quality photographers is a good feeling.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm

This is a great selection, Brian. Looks like it is going to be a tough pick.

June 6, 2008 1:06 pm

Wow!
Wondeful pictures!
And tough choice for the judges!
Good Luck!

June 6, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks so much for giving us this opportunity. Amazing photographers in this group.

June 6, 2008 1:50 pm

I don’t envy your task of choosing your next photographers. There is some great photography represented across those who have submitted portfolios.

June 6, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks so much to for the opportunity to be considered. Great work by all concerned, and humbling when you see all the skills others have and the quality of their work. Good luck to all!

June 6, 2008 5:57 pm

It is going to be a very difficult choice for the jury. There are some really great pictures there.

June 6, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi, Brian! I very happy that you choose that image. This one is my own’s favorite too! Although like most images which I took with medium fotmat camera.

June 7, 2008 2:50 am

Wow, you guys summed it up nicely. I really am impressed with the work being shown. You should all be proud of the portfolios you’ve put together and hopefully this was a good exercise regardless of who the “winners” are.

June 7, 2008 3:30 am

great work by everyone to be sure, the ones you gys choose will truly be worthy. good luck everyone.

June 7, 2008 1:29 pm

They’re all amazing photographers, Brian. I’d wish you good luck but you really don’t need it. Can’t go wrong with these choices. :)

June 8, 2008 12:29 am

LOVE them!!!!

Thank you SO much, honored to be among this talent!

Look forward to hearing who the lucky ones are!

June 8, 2008 1:04 pm

As one of the 44 porfolios, thank you for displaying our work. I am amazed at the scope of work these 43 other photographers display. I am glad I don’t have to pick the two new members. Good luck to all.

Gil

June 9, 2008 1:31 pm

hi Brian,
this is a real amazing portfolio of fantastic photographers,
and it’s an honor for me to share it with all of them.

enjoy the time looking through all these pictures and
good luck to all…. everybody could be the “winner”.

I’m looking forward to the result.

sunny greetings from vienna/austria,
karola

June 10, 2008 10:36 am

Brian,
So many portfolios, so little time! The thought occurs to me that you and the other photographers of the Fine Art Blog must be having some very interesting discussions as you select just two photographers from these really excellent portfolio submissions. Could the generalities of these discussions perhaps be the basis of an item for your blog? What did you look for? Did you discuss “art” versus “photography”? (Now there’s a Pandora’s box!) I suspect your readers include many that have been subjected to the “jurying” process, so an item of this type may be of broader interest than just for the 44 who submitted portfolios here.

Regards,
Craig

June 19, 2008 9:37 am

I’ll see what I can throw together when we announce the final selections, including our process and some of the discussion points.

June 19, 2008 11:23 am

I cannot wait to see the results!

June 25, 2008 1:29 am