Some time ago, I wrote an article titled “Five Fantastic Flickr Photographers“. The five photographers featured were contacts of mine whose work I really appreciated. Since that time, I’ve encountered many more great photographers on Flickr, particularly those involved with the Epic Edits Flickr Group.

Week after week, as I go through our group pool, I encounter amazing photos from a select few photographers. Without even looking at the photo details, I know who it’s from and I know that I love it. But then again, these are folks that I’ve been following long before the formation of our Flickr group. So pay these artists a visit, add them as a contact, and let them know that their work is appreciated.

Mathias Pastwa

MATHIAS PASTWA

- Germany

100 possible ways don't go to work - that's one the-tube

I’ve been following Mathias for quite some time — I was following him on Zooomr before he even jumped over to Flickr. His work is absolutely captivating, often appearing as though it’s from a different world. He is well known for his eye-catching use of color and form via industrial landscapes. But he’s also well versed in street photography, urban & rural landscapes, abstracts, and many more genres. Mathias also has a way with film that sets him apart from the crowd. In addition to recently joining the Fine Art Photoblog, Mathias has a portfolio website filled with some of his best works.

Gregor Winter

GREGOR WINTER

- Germany

untitled subway moment

Gregor gives the impression that he’s a weathered street photographer from the mid-century past. His photos have a very unique and identifiable style, and they are a true testament to his abilities as an artists. Though Gregor doesn’t post a large quantity of photos, when he does post a photo it’s an instant favorite of mine — well thought out, well executed, and well presented. Having dabbled with street photography myself, I know just how difficult it can be to produce impressive photos such as Gregor’s.

Javier Yanes

JAVIER YANES

- Spain

family; Sailing Dreams Hi...Summer

Javi has one of the most unique and memorable styles. You can typically spot his work by his signature green-cast images — which suit his composition style well. Javier’s eye for composition is his strongest point; creating photos that are simple and interesting to look at. What really amazes me is that you can dig as deep as you’d like into his archives, and you won’t find anything of lesser quality or intrigue. If you do so, you’ll also notice that he’s done a fair amount of travel to some very interesting places. Oh… and he tends to show up underwater quite often — which is another really cool aspect of his work.

Victor Bezrukov

VICTOR BEZRUKOV

- Isreal

wooot on the swing

Victor’s photos come across as being very bold and intentional. With his images typically revolving around human subjects, he manages to capture personal and interesting features of his subjects. Victor’s portrait work is quite stunning, mainly because of the intimacy found in each photo. He also has a unique talent for capturing “portraits” of features other than the face — feet and hands in particular. And the color choice for most of his work — outstanding black and white, of course.

Tom Webb

TOM WEBB

- Australia

The viewing of creation. A ghostly self portrait with the unexpected bonus of a light trail.

Tom is fast becoming something of a “Flickr Legend” due to his amazing social interactions and for his work with film photography. Many of you probably only know him as “the_wolf_brigade” — and those who do know him understand what I’m talking about. His work with film has been a personal inspiration to me. Not only is Tom very good and very capable with film, he’s also very open to sharing that experience with anyone who asks. Lately, he’s been experimenting with long exposures and even a few double exposures. If Tom keeps going at film the way he has, he’ll be a force to reckon with in the very near future. You can also keep up with Tom on his photography blog: The Mediation of Life

Honorable Mentions

In addition to the five I’ve chosen to highlight, I wanted to pick out another five photographers from the Epic Edits Flickr Group who often catch my eye. It was actually a very difficult decision to choose the top five from all ten of these photographers.

Be sure to check out all these great photographers, add them as a friend, star their photos, leave comments on their work, let them know they are appreciated. Following the work of others is a great way to improve your own photography and it’s quite inspirational.

Way to go on the Brian Villarin mention! I’ve grown to really love his photography. He’s one of the most un-fettered photographers.

July 30, 2008 10:24 am

wow ! this is a great discovery for me and a wonderful source of inspiration , I bet it was difficult to choose the top five. they are all so talented.

July 30, 2008 10:46 am

What a great selection. I’ve been following a couple of those photographers lately, and certainly happy you pointed me to some more!!

And I am deeply honored/flattered by even being mentioned in the same post. You have no idea what that means to me, thank you!

July 30, 2008 11:46 am

It’s always great to see photographers that inspire. Thanks for pointing out these photographers and their work. I look forward to exploring their photostream.

July 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Huh !!
amazing feature and i’m happy to be part of this !
thanks a lot !
Vic

July 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks for posting this!

July 30, 2008 1:52 pm

so many new contacts…
i am just checking out everybodies photostreams and i am impressed by the amount of quality images.

July 30, 2008 4:02 pm

I’ve noticed a couple of these names frequently on the epic edits weekly selection, after browsing through them it kind of puts to shame my own flickr, should probably draw on inspiration and aim for higher!

July 30, 2008 4:49 pm

What a nice surprise to wake up to in the morning! I checked my flickr first and so many new contacts! It’s going to take me awhile to get through them :)

As for the photographers here, most of them have been inspirational in my own development. I’ve made it no secret that Brian is one of the reasons I’ve gotten better at photography since picking it up a year ago.

Mathias in particular I’ve also been following since I was on Zooomr and his abstract industrial shots always encourage me to look for the beauty in the details. Likewise Javier is fast becoming a friend, despite the language barrier, as his unique colours often cause me to exclaim in wonder at how me manipulates light in the way that he does. Check out his underwater shots especially!

Gregor is someone I’ve long admired. His high contrast street work is similar to what I would associate with the masters of old; as Brian said, his uploads are few, but the quality is always mindblowing and consistent.

I’ve had passing encounters with Victor, but I haven’t studied his work in detail yet – now might be the perfect time!

As for the honourable mentions? I know of Jerry Deese – his recent 365 shots have been impressive, particularly as he experiments with the old cameras he picked up cheap :D

And Bryan. I think Bryan’s been a contact from very early on. I’ve always enjoyed following his work, though since he got his DSLR his work has been steadily getting more and more impressive. His processing skills have advanced as well, showing influences of Brian (of this blog) in terms of manipulation of saturation, and his composition is always nice and fresh.

Of the others I know little but I’ll definitely be checking them out, and I recommend you do as well!

Thanks Brian, for the feature, and the new inspiration….

July 30, 2008 5:36 pm

hello again…
yes i agree with some of commenter – lots of new contacts, but…. these new contacts without browsing and comments are nothing, you know…
i’m really inspired by GREGOR WINTER gallery ! great b&w works, so live, so street ..

July 31, 2008 5:59 am

Victor, I couldn’t agree more. I had about 20 people who added me as a contact who did not comment or fave any of my photos. There were a few new contacts who did comment, and I really appreciate those.

The others, I guess they just like to look at photos. But I am always hoping for some critiques on what people like/dislike about the photos and what could have been improved upon.

July 31, 2008 7:09 am

I agree, Jerry and Victor…. I’m missing the critiques.

Thank you so much for the mention, Brian. I feel truly honored to be listed alongside such impressive photographers. I am a huge fan of Mathias, Javier, and Stephanie’s work… and now it looks like I have a few more photographers that I need to check out!

Also, I am constantly impressed by the work in the Epic Edits pool… I don’t know how you managed to narrow it down!

July 31, 2008 11:35 am

I’m speechless. So this is where all these new followers and friends are coming from! Thanks Brian and everyone else! I’ll do my best not to let down the new followers.

*sniff* :)

I’m so excited to see these other photographers. The more photos I look at, the more inspired I become.

July 31, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks for god tip! Will be fun to check their images.

July 31, 2008 5:17 pm

I resisted adding the-wolf-brigade as a contact for the longest time because I knew he was just going to suck me more and more into the film world. I didn’t want to see all those cameras and all those super cool images that you could make with film. Having Brian as a contact was bad enough. But I finally gave in and I’m glad. I look forward to exploring the streams of the other people listed here.

August 3, 2008 12:35 am

Hey !! Laanba !!
what’s wrong with the digi or film cameras..
the concept of photography , emotions or something special we’re want to express by the images..
so it’s really strange way, why to resist ? why to limit your features ??

August 3, 2008 12:49 am

Haha… Victor, because I’m poor! It’s not that I want to resist, it is because I want it all and I can’t have it all. :-)

August 3, 2008 10:10 am

Congrats too all of those featured! Happy to see my flickr friend Bryan featured as well :)

August 3, 2008 5:41 pm

Just can say thank you to all of you specially to Brian cause of the found of his web made me to jump into flickr and calm down my needs of showing my photos further than i did before in local forums very closed in my point of view, his flickr group Epic Edits encourage me to dive into flickr photographers and really have been an inspiration for my shots and prosprocessing. Thanks to Tom ( the Wolf like always call him) always there to answer any doubt , and specillay to Mathias that has been the help to our and yours little group in flickr Brutal Shots and idea taken from Tom and now the group is almost running on his own thanks to all of you.

Thanks All

August 4, 2008 2:54 am

You did a great job with the selection of these photographers. Congrats to everyone was that featured and may luck be with you!

August 5, 2008 4:14 pm

I love Gregor and Victors work. I am really into black and white. Wish that art form was hotter…or maybe Im looking in the wrong place. Are there any places I can get and make prints of Black and white?

Kelly

September 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Awesome

April 14, 2009 5:11 am

thank you for sharing!!! :)

June 18, 2009 5:58 pm

You can add images to your comment by clicking here or adding the appropriate HTML tags.