I’d like to do projects here on the blog more often. I think they provide a good way to expand our creativity and knowledge. We’ve done a few over the years, and they’ve mostly been my own ideas. Here are all of the past projects (and mini-projects) we’ve done over the last 2.5 years.

This time, I want you guys to suggest projects. Anything goes at this point — let’s just do a little brainstorming to see what we come up with. If we get a few good ideas, we’ll refine them later.

What about shooting around a central theme? I liked doing Neil Creek’s Fork project. It would be interesting to see an international interpretation of a broad theme.

October 15, 2009 2:29 am

Start a project to shoot photos that are out of your comfort zone. For example I like to shoot people and landscapes. However I am not comfortable shooting architecture or product shots. This would push me to focus on my weakest link which hopefully would improve.

October 15, 2009 3:01 am

+1 for Rob’s Idea. some external motivation can help with the first push

October 15, 2009 3:29 pm

It would be cool to create a scenario, maybe something like this:

-Choose a location and subject (possibly to be determined communally).
-10 shots (in a row, no picking and choosing from a large pool)
-Shot from the hip
-Edit and submit the best one.

Maybe I’m being too specific.

October 15, 2009 4:43 pm

I think a broad scope, or very general topic is best because we get to see how different people interpret it. For a project, why not create of collection of photos. Many of the photo challenges do a photo a day, which is tough when you spend most of the daylight hours working at a desk job, and shoot mostly on the weekends. But creating a collection of 20-30 images of a general topic, and publishing them on Flickr? That would be cool. And since many of your readers are spread around the country (and the world), how interesting would it be to shoot a collection for the topic Local History? Or My History? Or something else that would result in a collection of images that give the flavor and the background of where we each live.

October 16, 2009 1:49 pm

There are many challenges that can be expanded upon that just about everyone has access to and may not realize it…
Here are my theme suggestions:
- weather: rain, clouds, sunset, night sky, etc…
- road photos: old curvy roads, dirt roads, tire paths
- architecture: historic buildings, churches
- hands, young, old, and in-between
- photobooth
- food

Or how about submitting your best un-edited photo, straight out of the camera, no post-edits!

October 22, 2009 11:44 am

Connecting shots? I mean, processing your shot so that it includes an element or anything from the previously posted one.

October 22, 2009 1:00 pm

How about shots while on the move ?

For example I took some great ones on my 8 mile cycle to work. They give a totally different perspective on stuff you see from a ‘normal’ angle.

November 13, 2009 5:26 am