Totally 80's Techno-Geek

[tweetmeme]I was asked this same question in my interview from PetaPixel a few days ago. I answered that I’m a “weekend warrior” and I’m not ashamed of it. It’s true, I just don’t have the time or energy to get out and shoot every single day, so I reserve my shooting for the weekend. And most of the time I might shoot a single roll of film (or less), so it’s not like I’m going on 2 day photo adventures every weekend.

So now I’m curious what your shooting habits are. Do you shoot every day like some others I know? Or are you more like me and you’re lucky to get out and shoot 3 or 4 times a month? And is there anything wrong with shooting infrequently? Or does it actually make for a better experience? How do you spend your free time when you’re not shooting… working on photos, blogging, family activities, video games?

Also be sure to check out the discussion on our last reader poll — lots of great comments worth reading.

Hi Brian, great article. I shoot each day, I love photography and I find I get crabby if I don’t shoot. = )
Even if it’s finding creative ways to shoot things you find around your home, it helps to keep the juices flowing. I’m in CA and things bloom all year round. So, walking around looking for flowers, insects and things is a lot of fun
When I’m not shooting I’m usually shopping for things to put together a shoot, adding to my blog http://theresazphotography.wordpress.com/ Hanging out with friends and family, going to a movie. I will confess that even when I am out doing things that aren’t to shoot I always carry my camera with me, just in case = )

June 4, 2010 8:40 am

Oh, and I don’t think there is anything wrong with weekend shooting only. It depends on each person’s schedule and things. As long as you can do what you love doing, go for it.

June 4, 2010 8:43 am

Photographing on the weekends. Recently I try to travel in different places. But still it seems to me is not enough. Increasingly, I’m going in a very specific purpose, to photograph a specific topic. This approach gives a better effect than doing photos here, photos there. Maybe not enough time, but a bit more prepared to shoot.

June 4, 2010 11:13 am

I dedicate a few hours each weekend to photography, usually a specific subject, but I have the great privilege to be able to carry n shoot daily. I work at a very large (and historic) construction site so my view is mostly limited to that but it is a rewarding privilege!

June 4, 2010 5:13 pm

I’ve been shooting every day this year, but am considering scaling back a little on it. I started a 365 project just after the new year, but am getting to the point that I don’t think it’s beneficial to me. Toward the beginning, I liked that it made me get out and shoot every day, but I’m now starting to wonder if it’s also caused me to just snap a photo of anything quite a few times. I think that either way I would be shooting at least 4 or 5 days a week.

June 4, 2010 5:16 pm

I’ve been working on a 365 project this year so I take photos every day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking fewer photos. I just needed a challenge to help me improve my photography, and that was one I felt I could do.

June 6, 2010 9:58 pm

about twice a day,

June 11, 2010 2:08 am

I am very much of the stable of thought that the more you shoot, the more you learn and the quicker you develop, as long as you take time to learn from your photographs.

Having critiques is great, but sometimes dis-wades you from finding your own creative style !!

June 12, 2010 2:59 am

To the second comment of TeresaZ (#2) there’s nothing to add.

For me, I would think, I am busy enough to not take photos every day, there is more than “just” taking pictures. I absolutely like taking them, but it is not the only thing I like to do while enjoying free time of work.

I do not have any fixed frequency in taking pictures…

Bernd

June 12, 2010 9:43 am

I would do more shoots then one time per week but I have to work and not enough time for it

July 1, 2010 11:54 pm

You can add images to your comment by clicking here or adding the appropriate HTML tags.